Vernon R. Campbell, age 85, went home to be with His Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on March 4, 2013. He was born on Aug. 3, 1927.
Vernon was born in Safford, Ariz. and grew up on the San Carlos reservation. He graduated from Globe High School in 1945.
He went directly into the Navy out of high school and served for two years. He married Marian Trojanovich in 1947 and they were blessed in marriage for 65 years. They had an extraordinary love for one another and Jesus Christ.
They loved baseball, the outdoors, hunting, dancing, and most of all their family.
He also loved to help his son, Richard, work on his race cars and was the “pit crew.” Unbeknownst to his lovely wife, he actually raced in one “heat.” Vernon was a gifted baseball player and played professional baseball in the New York Yankees and Brooklyn Dodgers farm system. He won the 1951 batting championship in the Class A Pioneer League. He always had a song on his heart and you could always hear him whistling his favorite songs throughout the day.
Vernon’s favorite job was as a Globe Fireman, where he almost lost his life in the line of duty. He worked for the fire department for 20 years and eventually became a State Fire Marshall.
Vernon had a great love and passion for Jesus Christ. He loved to study the Bible and served as an elder at the First Presbyterian Church in Globe. He was a wonderful husband, father, grandfather, and friend to many and always had many words of encouragement to share. He was a man of integrity who “walked the talk.” He loved to tell stories to family and friends, and no one ever got tired of hearing them.
His wife, Marian Campbell preceded him in death. He has three surviving children: daughter, Terrie Lynn Cubillas; and two sons, Don Campbell and Richard Campbell. Vernon has nine grandchildren and 11 great grandchildren.
In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made to the:
Globe Fire Firefighter Association
The Vern Fund
175 N. Pine St.
Globe AZ 85501
This fund assists families whose homes have been destroyed or damaged by fire.
The family would like to thank Amber Lights caregivers and staff for the incredible love and care he received from them.